If you're planning or developing a project in Iowa, you'll find plenty of qualified, experienced cast and crew members in all corners of the state.
Whether your project involves film, television or video, you'll find a large number of professionals among IMPA members, including directors, producers, editors, production assistants, actors, writers, hair & makeup professionals, directors of photography, sound pros, lighting experts and grips, art directors, special effects experts, prop masters, location managers and more!
The Iowa Motion Picture Association is pleased to announce
Saturday, June 4, 2016, 1- 4 PM
Johnston Public Library 6700 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131
Iowa native Lisa Crnic has been working in Los Angeles during the past seven years in film and television, including at Creative Artists Agency with clients such as Stephen King, Robert Towne, Rob Minkoff, and Wolfgang Petersen -- and at Paradigm Agency, where she sought out the best undiscovered writers and directors. After 3 ½ years working on the representation side of the business, she transitioned to a more creative role at the production company Kerner Entertainment where she works in development, making studio franchise films under veteran TV/Film producer, Jordan Kerner, whose credits include Charlotte's Web, Fried Green Tomatoes, Mighty Ducks 1,2,3, Smurfs 1 & 2, and George of the Jungle.
Lisa's workshop will address the following. You may also bring your own questions!
• Career path through education, and early work opportunities -- breaks you create and prepare for, networking, what is necessary for continued success? Training, on-the- job learning. How are clients recruited, evaluated, and worked with? Wisdom gained from real-life experiences – or not.
• Current state of the industry and changes over the last seven years.
• Development, creation & execution of web series. Financing, sponsorships, distribution, advertising, practical insights on social networking, & legal aspects of launching & growing your own web series. Selected episodes screened & discussed.
• Living in Los Angeles. Artistic & professional groups & communities. Can you live elsewhere and achieve the same access?
• Hands-on pitching. Lisa wants this workshop to address the professional needs of the participants. Her jobs at CAA & Paradigm included hearing and evaluating large numbers of pitches, as does her current job at Kerner Entertainment. She is willing to hear pitches on your screenplays and projects and provide feedback as though she is the agency, studio, or buyer. This is an exercise in professional development, not a pitch to Kerner Entertainment or Lisa Crnic.
• “I just want all participants to be clear this is not a formal pitch to me representing my company, but rather an exercise to further develop their skill sets professionally and get feedback from someone who works in the industry and has experience hearing many hundreds of pitches.” Lisa will provide guidelines to those who sign up to pitch. As with Barry Morrow's workshop which coached pitching, the Iowa Motion Picture Association requires the signing of release forms & non-disclosure forms for those who choose to take advantage of this opportunity to improve their pitching skills. (You are not required to pitch to attend this free professional development workshop – although that will be most beneficial to you -- but you can also learn from observing the pitches and feedback of other participants.)
"I know it’s sometimes challenging for Iowans to connect to the industry out here -- and I want to help bridge that gap by sharing my knowledge & insight to Iowans interested in developing a successful career in Los Angeles (or in the film/tv industry anywhere!)."
This workshop is free -- and professionals, students, and members of the public are welcome, but fire code regulations limit the number of seats in public library meeting rooms. Reserve your seat by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Email your questions or leave a message at 515-964-4599. Be sure to visit www.impa.tv to find out more about the Iowa Motion Picture Association -- and to join as a member! The Iowa Motion Picture Association Promoting Excellence throughout the Profession
Brief Highlights from the 2015 IMPA Awards, featuring Gary Kroeger, who appeared in 56 episodes of Saturday Night Live & co-founded the Chicago Practical Theater Company with Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
Education, Training and Support. Getting ready for Next Year's Awards? The IMPA is excited to present a valuable Film Financing Workshop on May 7th, 2016. Click the link below to learn more and submit your RSVP!
We celebrated The 25th Annual Iowa Motion Picture Awards in Pella on April 16, 2016!
We are grateful to Produce Iowa – the State Office of Media Production – for outstanding support – and encourage our members to visit the Iowa Media Production Directory to help keep it accurate and up-to-date and to connect with film projects in Iowa.
We're pleased to partner with the following organizations to help enhance film making in Iowa.